Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Mormons!



Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should contend earnestly for the faith which was once for all delivered unto the saints.
Jude 1:3

Yep... I had an encounter with Mormons yesterday. This is how it happened...

It was about 7:30PM, I had just gotten home from work, and felt the call to go to Main Ave to share the Gospel. There I was passing out tracts to people when I saw a couple of Mormons coming up the street. Mormons are some of the nicest people you will ever meet, very polite, kind, and sincere in their faith. With that said, none of these qualities can forgive someone's sins, only the blood of Christ can do that.

I gave one of them a tract and immediately he smiled and said "Thanks, I also have something for you." We exchanged literature. He saw that what I gave him was a Ticket to Heaven so I asked him, "So what do you believe someone must do to get to Heaven?" His basic response was that a person must 1) believe in Jesus Christ 2) repent 3)get baptized 4)receive the Holy Spirit 5)produce good works. YOWZA! That is a works-based salvation which the Bible condemns. So I asked him what would happen if a person didnt have time to do all that, "What if I only had 3 minutes to live? What would you tell me?" His response included the prospect of having a second chance to do all those things in the afterlife. I told him, "Sure doesnt seem like the rich man in Luke 16 got that second chance. Or did he?"

A little later on I mentioned something along the lines of whether Hitler also received that second chance; Elder Quincy's response was that repetitious murder was too big a crime to be forgiven. I took the opportunity to ask him whether he had ever hated anyone which God sees as murder. He had. After some probing, I realized that both Elder Quincy (age 19) and Elder IforgothisName (20) were self-righteous (they thought they were good people) so I proceeded to walk them both through the law of God in hopes that it would bring them a fuller understanding of the gravity and depth of their sin. Most specifically I expounded on the gravity of blasphemy. I told them that blasphemy was probably even more serious than murder "for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who takes His name in vain." They admitted to being guilty of breaking Gods laws and deserving of God's punishment but quickly mentioned "Thats why Jesus came... so that we can be saved."

This is when things got interesting, I told them that I was a Christian and asked them whether or not Mormons and Christians believe in the SAME Jesus. They said we do, which is NOT true. After much talk, this is the recap of what we concluded in respects to the nature of God and the Gospel:

Mormons
  • Three gods (The Father, The Son, and The Holy Spirit) who exist among other gods
  • God was once a man who became God
  • Jesus came into existence after the Father
  • Jesus is the brother of the devil
  • Salvation is by faith after all we can do

Christians
  • One God who is Triune (The Father, The Son, and The Holy Spirit)
  • God is eternal
  • Jesus is God who is eternal
  • Jesus created ALL things including the devil and hell
  • Salvation is by grace through faith, not of works
One particular passage that they had an especially hard time dealing with was John 1:3. Here it is in context:

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by Him, and without Him was not anything made that was made.
This means that Jesus of Nazareth is the Creator of ALL things. Amen.

This is what I was going for: I was trying to get them to admit that Mormons and Christians believe two different Gospels. We believe in two different natures of God, two different Jesus', two different plans of salvation. In essence, two different Gospels. Once I got them to agree to that... We turned to Galatians chapter 1:

I marvel that ye are so soon removed from Him, that called you into the grace of Christ, for another gospel. For this is not another; but there are some who trouble you and would pervert the Gospel of Christ. But should we, or an angel from Heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached to you, let him be accursed. As we said before, so say I now again: If any man preach any other gospel unto than that which ye have received, let him be accursed!
Galatians 1:6-9
YOWZA! Did you read that? Re-read it please. Notice how it says that even if an angel from Heaven... (Picture that for a moment. Imagine looking up and seeing a beautiful magestic angel in the sky! How do you think you would react to that? People usually get scared when they see that.) Anyhow, the Scripture says that even if an angel from Heaven preaches to you any other gospel than the one the apostles preached, let him be accursed. When it says "accursed" it means that the preacher of this false gospel shall be damned to an eternity in hell. What makes this extra interesting is that that is exactly how the founder of the Mormons, Joseph Smith, claimed to have received his "gospel"... from an angel named Moroni.

So I did my best to reason with them to repent of their sins and put their trust in the Jesus of the Bible! I told them that the created Jesus who is the brother of Satan cannot save anybody. That they must trust the Jesus who is Creator of all things in order to be saved. I pleaded with them that if they didnt repent of their going after false gods the wrath of God would remain upon them and they would surely lose their souls. Did they repent right on the spot and believe? I wish that I could tell you that they did but I cant. But glory to God that one more seed was sown!!! Please pray for Elder Qunicy and Elder IforgothisName, that the Lord will grant them repentance and faith in the Lord Jesus.

As an aside. Here is a verse that could have helped me in our discourse:
Ye are my witnesses, saith the LORD, and my servant whom I have chosen; that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me.
Isaiah 43:10

Labels: ,

15 Comments:

Blogger Seth McBee said...

adiel...
very interesting time with our supposed "co laborers"

Great to read about your encounter and how you stood for the truth and sounds like you showed them that you cared for their souls and not in winning a debate. You never know what God will use.

1:47 AM  
Blogger Seth McBee said...

by the way Adiel...I have a post on JW on my site and there is a JW who has come to converse...check it out:

http://contendearnestly.blogspot.com/2007/02/refuting-jehovahs-witnesses.html

12:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing that mate. Recounts of real life encounters like that are always a good read. And that was a a good revision of some of the important differences between our true God and false Gods like those that Mormons worship (and JW's, etc...)

But I do have an ulterior motive here. I caught you on the STR Blog, and I just wanted to say thank you for standing up for the authority of God's Word from the very first verse.

In Christ

8:36 AM  
Blogger Jason said...

I really appreciate this account of witnessing, gives very practicle ways of going about this thank you very much!

In Christ,

Jason

http://urbanreformation.com

8:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AC,

That was a great exchange. I also like to use the first three chapters of Revelation where Jesus makes all kinds of claims on who He is. I then point out how He says I Am the first and I Am the last and then take them back to Isaiah 44:6 which says:

Thus says the Lord, the King of Israel
and his Redeemer, the Lord of hosts:
“I Am the first and I Am the last;
besides me there is no god.

3:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

try reading the gospels and seeing how often Christ asks us to do things and condemns professed but not lived beliefs.

1:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Preacher's Daughter said

I used to try to fellowship with Mormons, until I realized they are under a spirit of deception (perhaps this accursed angel Moroni was Satan disguised), and only God can open their eyes.

Now, I open the door and offer them the scripture from Galatians..."If anyone present any other gospel than the one we have received, EVEN IF FROM AN ANGEL FROM HEAVEN, let him be accursed" and Paul repeated this warning giving us two witnesses that we might avoid being brainwashed by cults that are what the Bible calls "false shepherds" and hirelings that will desert us in times of trouble.

After this I usually tell them, I advise you to read your Bible. Then I gently shut the door and walk away, praying for their young minds that the Father would draw them away from their cult into His freedom

8:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Im a Christian and pretty open to try and find the truth for myself, I dont believe that anyman can stand in between me and my salvation and personal relationship with my God... as I have studied the New Testement, I have found a few interesting things that I would like to share. Speaking about the Trinity, first, from where does it come? the idea of the Trinity was first established in the Nicene Crede in 325 AD. I seem to have a problem with this because, a council got together and decided to define God, whose leader in the first place, Constantine, was a Peagan. How can I place my salvation/beliefs in a man who isnt even Christian? Man is not able, nor capapble do "define" He who created him. I wouldnt try to flatter myself to try and say I could define God. God defines God. Now, from a few New Testement chapters I want to read from John 17. The Great Intorcessory Prayer of Christ. Here we have the perfect example of who God is. In verse 3, He says, "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." Now, did Christ send Himself, no. Clearly another "Person" sent Him. This person was His Father, the only true God. They are seperate beings.
If that isnt enough, let us follow, verse 4 "I have glorified thee on the earth: I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do." Christ did not give Himself a work, but received it from His Father in Heaven, a seperate Being. And glorified not Himself, but His Father. Read the chapter.
And finally, verse 11, often overlooked. "11 And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, THAT THEY MAY BE ONE, AS WE ARE." If we are faithful, we shall be one with God the Father and His Son Jesus Christ. We will not be one being with Them, but rather, one in purpose, the Mormons got it right. But, dont believe me, ask God. John 14:26 "But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you."
Just pray to know.

3:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. I am completely amazed at what a blind bunch on self-righteous people you are. Do the world a favor and quit trying to correct people, and just live your sorry lives. If these people are happy believing in what they do then leave them alone! They really are some of the most faithful, happy, and hardworking people I have ever seen. I'd like to say that i know what the "Mormons" believe and it has nothing to do with three Gods or that God was ever a man, or anything like that, and I suggest you check your facts. Besides, good luck trying to convince Mormons that their religion is wrong because they love God and devote their lives to doing what they think is right. Can you say the same up there pounding the pulpit and condeming others? "Judge not that ye be not judged." was the council Jesus gave. If I truly love my neighbor, I am in the narrow way.-an excerpt from a Mormon hymn. Whether you love them or not, they love you enough to want to help you do what is right and devote two years of their young lives as missionaries to prove it. None of you are following His standards, and I am soory for your blindness. You sound like lovely people, but pleaase don't condemn people to hell because they believe differently. To each his own, my friends. To each his own.

10:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I understand and respect the fact that you have your religion and you have every right to practice it to the utmost. however, even though you should never be telling other similiar religions they are false, you should at LEAST know more about them before you criticize them. The Mormon belief is that after Jesus was crucified that the Gospels were tampered with, and their new Gospels are the true versions, along with the new Book of Mormon. If you are going to attack a religion for being false on little things like this, then never can you argue with an atheist that your own religion makes sense. Religion comes down to a faith in a higher being, and for most an individuals respect and reverance towards it. however they express it, through specific works or acts, is none of your business. If you are willing to believe the Bible, then I can only assume that you should be able to at least let another religion co-exist without a pointless confrontation of values such as you had

12:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Honestly, I read this with an open mind to try and learn what you think of members of the Church Of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints but about half way through I couldn't help laughing at you and your idea on Mormons. Sounds an awful lot like you are trying to judge us and you need to get your facts straight.

4:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yo, Preachers little daughter...your a little whore and you need to stop judging the Mormons cuz you honestly dont know anything about who they are. they are some of the nicest people and the most giving EVER!!! Dirty little WHORE!!! I am not a moromn but i have a load of respect for them because they never judge people like you and your little cult you bastard.

4:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who ever it is that wrote this article needs to contact me because they need to be set on the path of rightousness. Contact me at mziegler123@hotmail.com

4:45 PM  
Blogger R.A. Servin said...

Great witnessing encounter Adiel! I really like how you went from one section of text to another refuting what they believe in each section. Awesome. May God grant them repentance, to believe that glorious Gospel that you shared with them!

Grace & Peace,

Roger

12:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home