Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Too Chicken to Share Your Faith?

Too chicken to go out into the streets and strike up a conversation with a total stranger about their eternal destiny? What about just giving them a Gospel tract? Its easy, you just smile and say, "Hey, did you get one of these?" Well, how about this: Are you brave enough to talk to someone online about their need for a Savior? Come on, you can do it! Its easy! Myspace has millions of members who know nothing of the Lord... you can make a page proclaiming the Gospel and then just start adding friends to share with!

This guy "randomly" IM's me asking me who I am because I "somehow" got on his buddy list... (note: the conversation is edited for length)

its ADieL: Do you mind my asking... What do you think happens when someone dies?
Skater Pat: Well... I think we get reincarnated.
its ADieL: Really? So how does that work?
Skater Pat: We die; our souls go to new life.
its ADieL: As a new person born into the world all over again?
Skater Pat: Well, depending on how good of a person you were in your former life.
its ADieL: So u mean there are levels depending on how good you were?
Skater Pat: Well sure
its ADieL: Thats interesting.
Skater Pat: Just like Christians judge whether or not you were good enough to go to heaven or hell.
its ADieL: So how did u arrive at that conclusion?
Skater Pat: I think a lot about it.
its ADieL: But i mean like... what convinced that thats what actually happens?
Skater Pat: It's just a theory. I don't know what happens, nobody knows.
its ADieL: So let me ask you this, would you consider yourself a good person?
Skater Pat: Sure.
its ADieL: By what standard?
Skater Pat: I havent killed anyone. By my standards.
its ADieL: Im going to ask you a few questions to see if thats true. (I opened up God's Law like Jesus did in Mark 10:17-22 to bring him the knowledge of sin. He admitted to breaking many of the commandments.)
its ADieL: If God were to judge you by that standard, would you be innocent or guilty?
Skater Pat: Well by a Christian standpoint I'd be guilty.
Skater Pat: But how do I know that God even exists?
Skater Pat: I know faith is a big part of Christianity. I know, I grew up with it.
its ADieL: Well, I dont think believing in God requires faith... I think relating to him requires faith but not believing in him.
Skater Pat: Right... so are you Christian?
its ADieL: Dont u think that creation proves that there is a Creator?
its ADieL: Yeah, I am.
Skater Pat: That's good.
its ADieL: Heres the thing Pat, and I would love your opinion on it...
Skater Pat: Add me as your friend on myspace... OK
its ADieL: I will in a sec, OK
its ADieL: But heres the thing...
Skater Pat: K
its ADieL: If there is a God who is good and cares about justice and youre found guilty of breaking his laws; would you go to heaven or hell?
Skater Pat: Hell. Most definately.
its ADieL: Yeah, and thats exactly what the Bible says. God says that no adulterers or thieves will go to heaven and that all liars will have their part in the lake of fire.
its ADieL: Thats horrible. Doesnt that concern you?
Skater Pat: I don't think about it.
its ADieL: Yeah its something that most people, including me at one point, would rather not think about cause its scary and very sobering. But isnt it true that you might die tonight? (God forbid)
Skater Pat: I know.
its ADieL: So if you died tonight you would go to hell for sinning against a holy God, thats horrible bro.
its ADieL: OK, so u said you grew up Christian, tell me... What must a person do to get right with God?
Skater Pat: Ask for forgiveness.
its ADieL: And what else?
Skater Pat: Pray to him.
its ADieL: Hmmm, think of it like this...
Skater Pat: K
its ADieL: Imagine if you stood before a judge, guilty of breaking some serious laws, and the law demands that you pay a $500,000 fine. So you look at the judge and say "Im sorry and I will be good from now on." Will that judge let you go?
Skater Pat: Well God is forgiving. Jesus died for our sins right?
its ADieL: Oh, OK. Now youre saying something new. Its like this...
Skater Pat: If God wanted us to be perfect there would be no sins? I just don't understand bro.
its ADieL: A good judge will not let a guilty criminal go just because he is sorry. Of course he should be sorry, he broke the law. But if someone pays the criminals fine, then the judge can let him go because justice was served. Does that make sense?
Skater Pat: I understand.
its ADieL: 2,000 years ago Jesus, God Himself, died on the cross to pay your fine.
Skater Pat: Yep.
its ADieL: 3 days later He rose from the dead.
Skater Pat: OK.
its ADieL: So this is what we know: God is holy and good and will punish lawbreakers... but He would rather give them mercy, so He died in their place to provide them a way to be forgiven. Here is the most important question of all...
Skater Pat: OK
its ADieL: How do u access this forgiveness? Do you know how?
Skater Pat: You accept Christ into your heart and believe that he died for our sins... right?
its ADieL: Thats part of it, you must also "repent".
Skater Pat: Repent
its ADieL: Which means... dont just confess your sins to God; but confess and forsake them.
Skater Pat: I do every night when I pray to him...
its ADieL: And then dont just believe in Jesus; but trust Him with all your heart. In other words, come to the end of yourself and your sinful ways and throw yourself at Gods mercy trusting only His death on the cross for your forgiveness.
Skater Pat: I see what you're saying.
its ADieL: If you do that, God says that He will forgive all your sins once and for all and give you His Spirit to guide you in your new life.
Skater Pat: 8-)
its ADieL: Its called being "born again". Jesus said that unless a man is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God. Pretty awesome offer right?
Skater Pat: Def
its ADieL: And then when you die and face Him you will go to heaven; not because you were a good person, but because u were a bad person that was forgiven by God Himself. Does all this make sense to you?
Skater Pat: Plenty sense.
its ADieL: So tell me, what on Gods green earth is preventing you from repenting and surrendering your life to Him right now?
Skater Pat: Faith.
its ADieL: What do you mean by that?
Skater Pat: These past years I've questioned my faith in God. I just don't believe as much as I used to.
its ADieL: Did u know that prophecy proves the Bible?
Skater Pat: What?
its ADieL: Thousands of things written in advance being fulfilled. Heres an example, who do you think this is talking about?
But He was wounded for our transgressions, He was bruised for our iniquities; The chastisement for our peace was upon Him, And by His stripes we are healed. All we like sheep have gone astray; We have turned, every one, to his own way; And the LORD has laid on Him the iniquity of us all.

Skater Pat: He's talking about us and our sins.
its ADieL: But what person in history is this talking about?
Skater Pat: Jesus.
its ADieL: Are you convinced that its him?
Skater Pat: Yes, that's him.
its ADieL: Its pretty much an eyewitness account right? Very specifically detailed. Here is the catch... You ready?
Skater Pat: Yes sir.
its ADieL: That was written by the prophet Isaiah over 700 years before Jesus Christ was born in Bethlehem.
Skater Pat: So his death was forseen?
its ADieL: Yeah. Not just that; His whole life. Wanna see another one?
Skater Pat: Cool. Sure.
its ADieL:
For unto us a Child is born, Unto us a Son is given; And the government will be upon His shoulder. And His name will be called Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

Skater Pat: Jesus.
its ADieL: Yes... What about this one written by King David, Psalm 22, written 800 years before Jesus:
For dogs have surrounded Me; The congregation of the wicked has enclosed Me. They pierced My hands and My feet; I can count all My bones. They look and stare at Me. They divide My garments among them, And for My clothing they cast lots.

Skater Pat: Wow!
its ADieL: It is really real. But the best way to know is by being born again. God promises to give you His Holy Spirit as proof. You'll actually know when you pass from darkness to light, from death to life.
Skater Pat: I see.
its ADieL: So we talked about alot. I say you should just contemplate on this bro. Think about ur sins, not thanking God for everything He gave you, lying, stealing, lusting, loving other things more than the one who gave you life, etc, think about what God says your sins deserve, hell, and then think about your God dying on the cross to save you. He demonstrated His love for you by dying for you to save you. The thought of this will break your heart and cause you to call out to Him in repentance and faith and He will save you.
Skater Pat: Well Adiel, I appreciate everything man and I def will think about this. Trust me, it's been on my mind. I just need a push into the right direction and I think talking to u was no accident.
its ADieL: It definitely wasnt an accident.
Skater Pat: God wanted you to talk to me about him.
its ADieL: God knows what He is doing.
Skater Pat: So thanks man.
its ADieL: Yeah bro, youre very welcome and I will be praying for you.
Skater Pat: Thanks man... Ttyl
its ADieL: See ya.

2 Comments:

Blogger dleger said...

I just recently joined My Space. Have you ever tried witnessing on their forum?

4:48 PM  
Blogger Adiel said...

I have, in the religion forum. I thought it was kinda hectic in there. Id rather post in the group forums. Personally, the main thing I focus on is adding friends and commenting them with the Good Person Test icon linking to www.needGod.com. Better yet, I have blogs that proclaim the gospel and I comment people with links to them. That way they could respond with questions, objections, comments etc. I've gotten into many conversations lasting up to months with all sorts of different people. You know whats also pretty great? The new comic tract from LivingWaters... Many times I leave comments on peoples pages with that.

9:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home